Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Blue Lagoon, then Home!

Yesterday was my last day in Iceland. On the way to the airport, I stopped at the "Blue Lagoon", which is a large outdoor spa. They have naturally occurring silica mud which you can rub on your face (or other parts of your body) - notice the white faces in the foreground of the picture. It was a great way to relax my tired legs and body after a full, fun vacation.

The hot water and steam is naturally occurring

The black sand and rock is from the lava formations

After some duty free shopping at the airport, it was time to settle in for the five and a half hour flight home to Boston. Luckily, I had some entertainment in the seat in front of me:
I'm always amazed at how far north I was - look at what is SOUTH: Hudson Bay, Halifax, etc. Despite that, Boston was actually colder than Iceland that day!

I couldn't believe Arrested Development was one of the entertainment choices!!

I had such a wonderful time in Iceland. The things I saw and did, the people I met, it all blew me away. I most definitely intend on returning one day. If you like a sense of adventure and want to see something off the beaten path, then Iceland is for you.

Writing a blog in a foreign country was a fun experience. It was hard work - for one, I'm not a "blogger" so I had to come up the learning curve. Second, after a full day, it's hard to find the energy and motivation to post, especially when the internet in the hotel is misbehaving. However, I got so many positive comments and interest back from all of you that it was worth it - thanks for sharing my experience with me!

3 comments:

  1. How cool, Matt! Your trip looked like it was even better than you thought it would be. I'm so glad you had such a great time - thanks for sharing. And who would've thought - AD on the return flight home? That was a great episode too! ;) Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Matt. I was out of town, and this is the first opportunity I've had to read your blog.

    I'm glad you had such a great time and saw and did so much!

    One thing you wrote did horrify me, though. They eat Puffins? Those adorable little birds???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy - yes it was even better than I'd thought it'd be! I watched that episode 2x it was so funny (plus when I watch them the first time I feel like I miss so many things - they're so quick!)

    Sabina - I had the same thought about the Puffins. But I figured I'd try it while I was there!

    ReplyDelete